NINETEEN
Crossing the Bridge
Crossing the Bridge
A convoluted and opaque tale, bearing total obscurity
Who would have known, the dark secret beneath
I stood at the end of the bridge
Impatiently waiting for her to catch up
Her footsteps slowed
And came to a halt
Drenched in weariness
Her red doll dress soaked
“Hurry up!” I called out
She crumbled to her knees
Looked up at me
Her voice faltered
Breathing words I couldn’t hear
Her face paled
As though she would faint
The sky dimmed
A hint of nightfall
“C’mon! You slowcoach!”
I turned and walked off
Leaving her to fend for herself
She knew the way home
She would be fine
But she never made it
For three long weeks,
I stood at the end of the bridge
Patiently waited for her to appear
For the familiar footsteps
And the red doll dress
Emptiness greeted
Regret settled
Till then.
No comments:
Post a Comment