Running the Sahara
A casual chat with Kelvin brought us to this story he came across in Runner’s World.
“On February 20, Charlie Engle (American), Ray Zahab (Canadian) and Kevin Lin (Taiwanese) touched the Red Sea, just a few hours before sunset. Their quest had lasted 111 days and taken them through 6 countries: Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Libya, and Egypt. By the team's daily GPS record, they had traveled over 4,300 miles (6,920 kilometers). They fought through injury and extreme fatigue to reach their goal, which changed them forever.
- Adapted from http://www.runningthesahara.com"
I have never taken interest in running. Never. It has always been the greatest challenge for me to finish a 2.4km run during school years. I spent 2 hours or so going through the website, watching their videos and googling about them. 3 men, whom I have never heard of in my life, have inspired me to pen this entry. Through their passion and willpower, I took a new meaning to the world of running.
People probably thought they were crazy and that they were toying with life. To me, they were incredible. They were extraordinary. Their story is emblematic of grit, a power that most ordinary men lack. Their expedition was instilled with vigor and enthusiasm. It was not the fame they were after, nor the title of legendary. They braved themselves through the harshest conditions. It was a race against determination – physically enduring and mentally challenging. No amount of words can measure their achievement and depth of experience.
I read the runners’ blog. What really drive them through the journey? Not the awaiting clean water nor the decent food. Besides their individual strength of will, the anticipating smiles and embraces from their love ones were vital.
“I missed my wife so much in those first weeks that I thought I would die. Knowing she would visit and run with me in Cairo kept me focused, and was integral to my ability to finish.
- Said Ray Zahab. Adapted from http://www.runningthesahara.com"
“The guys are also pleased because yesterday saw the arrival of Charlie and Kevin's girlfriends, Lisa and Nicole, and Ray's wife, Kathy, from points international. Lisa flew in from North Carolina, Nicole from Taipei, and Kathy from Quebec. Of course, their baggage didn't exactly make the flight (having been hung up with more than 15,000 other bags at London's Heathrow due to awful fog there), but just seeing everyone together has really buoyed the guys' spirits.
- Adapted from http://www.runningthesahara.com"
I thought to myself. How shameful it must be for myself. Kelvin is a runner. I can never understand the contentment he acquires from his passion. I tried listening and it must have been devastating for him to go through his runs alone. Each time he completed a run; he only had himself to give himself a pat on his back. ‘Running the Sahara’ changed me. I may not be a runner nor will I ever embrace this sport wholeheartedly. Despite those, I shall and will be the pillar of support for him at the end of each of his run. I finally understood how much each marathon meant to him. I hope it’s not too late to realise this. I want to be there each there for Kelvin.
He is incredible too. He’s my pride.
“Truly, my biggest fear was not being able to finish. This gig was by far the most physically and mentally challenging thing I have ever done. Period.
- Said Ray Zahab. Adapted from http://www.runningthesahara.com"
They dared to dream. And they took a step further by living their dream. Their aspiration, though accompanied with void and uncertainty of the wilderness, was realised. Death was not what they feared but the circumstances that clung on were their greatest dread. They survived, didn’t they?
You dare to dream but do you dare to live through it?
Never be afraid. Be it a small or a big dream.
The magnitude of our aspirations does not define us but the valour to hold the dream in our hands. All of us are great achievers in our respective fields.
Till then.



No comments:
Post a Comment